ervingpolicebanner

A Brief History of the Erving Police Department

The first full-time Chief of Police, George "Bucky" Vaughn, served the Town from 1974 to 1976. The first black and white marked cruiser was purchased by the Town in 1974.

David R. Gendron served as Police Chief from 1976 to 1996. Within this time, the Department moved from the Ervingside Library to the basement of the Superintendent's Office on Pleasant Street.

In the early 80's a second full-time officer was appointed to the department. By 1987 the police office moved to the basement of the Erving Town Hall and then to a more accessible office upstairs.

In 1991 the department was able to retain a third cruiser. With the retirement of Chief Gendron, Part-Time Officer William Bembury served as Acting Chief from 1996 to 1997. David Gendron returned to the department in 1997 to serve as Acting Chief until this slot could be filled. John P. Paciorek, Jr. was appointed as Chief in October of 1998 until February of 2004.

At Town Meeting in 2001, the voters approved the current third full-time officer position. January 2003 brought the beginning of the building process for the new police station located at 71 French King Highway. On October 31, 2003 the new station was completed and the process of moving in started.

Sergeant Christopher M. Blair was appointed Acting-Chief on March 1, 2004 and was appointed Chief on June 1st of that same year and is the current Chief.

Due to the efforts of Chiefs past and present the Erving Police Department has continued to grow in positive ways.

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
(Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.)

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights,1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410,
or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).