911 Emergency

If you are in an accident or a fire, if you get sick or lost, if something or someone frightens you, there's a number you can call. Someone at the other end will be there to help you.

What to do?

Step 1

Pick up the phone, Dial 9, then 1, then 1 again. An operator will answer. Speak to the operator with a voice that is loud and clear enough to be understood. Make sure you tell him or her the following: The phone number you are calling from, Your name, Your address and What your problem is.

Answer all the questions the operator asks, don't hang up on them.

If you are away from home and need help, dial 9-1-1 from a pay phone for free.

Step 2

The operator will contact the police or fire department. They will come to help you. Stay on the phone with the operator until help arrives.

Sex Offender Information

General Information

A sex offender is any person who resides or works in the Commonwealth and who has been convicted of a sex offense, or who has been adjudicated as a youthful offender or as a delinquent juvenile by reason of a sex offense, or a person released from incarceration or parole or probation supervision or custody with the department of youth services for such a conviction or adjudication, or a person who has been adjudicated a sexually dangerous person or a person released from civil commitment on or after August 1, 1981.

The Sex Offender Registry Board is the state agency responsible for keeping track of convicted sex offenders and classifying each offender so that the public may receive information about dangerous sex offenders who live or work in each community. The goal of the Sex Offender Registry is to educate the public and to prevent further victimization. Please check the online resources on this website for the link to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board. There you can view sex offender information in your community.

Read more: Sex Offender Information

Pistol Permit & FID Information

The Erving Police Department is currently using the computerized MIRCS system.  This system is part of the Masschusetts Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) and helps process pistol permits and FID cards faster and with more accuracy.

Permit application hours are during regular station hours:  Monday & Wednesday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and Tuesday & Thursdays from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.

Applicants do not have to bring pictures as in the past, they are generated through the computer camera.

The cost of a pistol permit and FID cards are $100.00. If you are over 70 the fee is waived and the permit is free.  If you are 15 to 18 years of age the FID fee is $25.00.  Accepted is cash, check or money order only and must be paid at the time of application.

Please bring your old permit and driver's license with you when you apply.  If you are a new applicant make sure to bring either your hunter education course certificate or your firearms safety course certificate as well.

If you are over 18 and you have a chemical propellant permit ONLY, you no longer need to renew this permit.  In August 2014 the law was changed to allow residents of the Commonwealth to purchase and carry Pepper Spray with out a permit, if they are over 18.  If you are under the age of 18, you would still  need to apply for the Chemical Propellant FID.

Please be aware that once your LTC/FID expires it is expired, there is no longer a grace period. If you renew your license prior to the exiration date then and only then does that permit become indefinate unitl you receive the new permit.

If you have any questions regarding pistol permits or FID cards please call Officer Beth Kaczenski at 413-423-3310 during the above hours.

If you have any problems, questions, or concerns please do not hesitate to call me at 413-423-3310.

Chief Christopher M. Blair

Updated 09/22/2015


In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
(Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.)

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights,1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410,
or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).