School Bus Safety

Do you ride a bus to school?

If you do, what are some of the safety rules you have to follow?

1. Stay a least 3 GIANT steps back from the curb as the bus approaches.

2. Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before getting on or off the bus.

3. NEVER walk behind the bus.

4. If you drop something near the bus, tell the bus driver. NEVER try to pick it up because the driver may not be able to see you.

Bicycle Safety

Be smart. Follow bike safety rules.

Bicycles are fun but they are not toys. They are vehicles just like cars and trucks and buses. Follow bike safety rules to keep yourself and others safe.

1. Your bike helmet is your most important piece of biking equipment. Wear it at all times, even for short trips. It can save your life.

2. For your own safety and others', be sure to stop at all red lights, yield to oncoming traffic and obey street signs.

3. Keep to the right side and ride single file in the same direction as traffic.

4. Use hand signals when you stop or make a turn. This lets drivers and other bicycle riders know what you are going to do. Always use your left hand to signal.

5. Keep both hands on the handlebars. Never carry passengers. Avoid overloading baskets so you can't see.

6. Look to the right and left before crossing. Walk your bike through busy intersections.

7. Stop, look left, right and left again before leaving a sidewalk, driveway, alley or parking lot. Enter traffic only when the road is clear.

8. Watch for road hazards such as potholes, glass and sand. Also watch for parked vehicles entering traffic, doors opening unexpectedly or cars pulling out of driveways.

9. Dusk or night riding is extremely dangerous even with reflective clothing. If necessary, walk your bike home at night or call for someone to pick you up.

10. Always wear bright or highly visible clothing. Avoid clothing that can get caught in bike chains. Use a strap or band to secure pant legs if necessary. Make sure shoelaces are securely tied. A refelctive vest or arm refelctor is recommended at all times.

11. Brakes should tighten and release smoothly and quickly. To test them, squeeze levers as you push your bike forward. Your wheels should not move.

12. Check air pressure. Tires should be firm to the touch. Examine them for cuts, cracks or bulges.

13. Your bike should have front and rear reflectors. Check to make sure they are secured tightly and are clean.

14. Your chain should be well oiled. It is a good idea to oil it once a month.

911 Emergency

If you are in an accident or a fire, if you get sick or lost, if something or someone frightens you, there's a number you can call. Someone at the other end will be there to help you.

What to do?

Step 1

Pick up the phone, Dial 9, then 1, then 1 again. An operator will answer. Speak to the operator with a voice that is loud and clear enough to be understood. Make sure you tell him or her the following: The phone number you are calling from, Your name, Your address and What your problem is.

Answer all the questions the operator asks, don't hang up on them.

If you are away from home and need help, dial 9-1-1 from a pay phone for free.

Step 2

The operator will contact the police or fire department. They will come to help you. Stay on the phone with the operator until help arrives.

Sex Offender Information

General Information

A sex offender is any person who resides or works in the Commonwealth and who has been convicted of a sex offense, or who has been adjudicated as a youthful offender or as a delinquent juvenile by reason of a sex offense, or a person released from incarceration or parole or probation supervision or custody with the department of youth services for such a conviction or adjudication, or a person who has been adjudicated a sexually dangerous person or a person released from civil commitment on or after August 1, 1981.

The Sex Offender Registry Board is the state agency responsible for keeping track of convicted sex offenders and classifying each offender so that the public may receive information about dangerous sex offenders who live or work in each community. The goal of the Sex Offender Registry is to educate the public and to prevent further victimization. Please check the online resources on this website for the link to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board. There you can view sex offender information in your community.

Read more: Sex Offender Information

Pistol Permit & FID Information

The Erving Police Department is currently using the computerized MIRCS system.  This system is part of the Masschusetts Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) and helps process pistol permits and FID cards faster and with more accuracy.

Permit application hours are during regular station hours:  Monday & Wednesday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and Tuesday & Thursdays from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.

Applicants do not have to bring pictures as in the past, they are generated through the computer camera.

The cost of a pistol permit and FID cards are $100.00. If you are over 70 the fee is waived and the permit is free.  If you are 15 to 18 years of age the FID fee is $25.00.  Accepted is cash, check or money order only and must be paid at the time of application.

Please bring your old permit and driver's license with you when you apply.  If you are a new applicant make sure to bring either your hunter education course certificate or your firearms safety course certificate as well.

If you are over 18 and you have a chemical propellant permit ONLY, you no longer need to renew this permit.  In August 2014 the law was changed to allow residents of the Commonwealth to purchase and carry Pepper Spray with out a permit, if they are over 18.  If you are under the age of 18, you would still  need to apply for the Chemical Propellant FID.

Please be aware that once your LTC/FID expires it is expired, there is no longer a grace period. If you renew your license prior to the exiration date then and only then does that permit become indefinate unitl you receive the new permit.

If you have any questions regarding pistol permits or FID cards please call Officer Beth Kaczenski at 413-423-3310 during the above hours.

If you have any problems, questions, or concerns please do not hesitate to call me at 413-423-3310.

Chief Christopher M. Blair

Updated 09/22/2015


A Brief History of the Erving Police Department

The first full-time Chief of Police, George "Bucky" Vaughn, served the Town from 1974 to 1976. The first black and white marked cruiser was purchased by the Town in 1974.

David R. Gendron served as Police Chief from 1976 to 1996. Within this time, the Department moved from the Ervingside Library to the basement of the Superintendent's Office on Pleasant Street.

In the early 80's a second full-time officer was appointed to the department. By 1987 the police office moved to the basement of the Erving Town Hall and then to a more accessible office upstairs.

In 1991 the department was able to retain a third cruiser. With the retirement of Chief Gendron, Part-Time Officer William Bembury served as Acting Chief from 1996 to 1997. David Gendron returned to the department in 1997 to serve as Acting Chief until this slot could be filled. John P. Paciorek, Jr. was appointed as Chief in October of 1998 until February of 2004.

At Town Meeting in 2001, the voters approved the current third full-time officer position. January 2003 brought the beginning of the building process for the new police station located at 71 French King Highway. On October 31, 2003 the new station was completed and the process of moving in started.

Sergeant Christopher M. Blair was appointed Acting-Chief on March 1, 2004 and was appointed Chief on June 1st of that same year and is the current Chief.

Due to the efforts of Chiefs past and present the Erving Police Department has continued to grow in positive ways.

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
(Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.)

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights,1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410,
or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).